Biotoxins & Mold Illness

Mold Illness or Biotoxin Illness is an acute and chronic sickness that occurs after a person’s exposure to biotoxins (toxigenic organisms including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes and mycobacteria as well as inflammagens such as endotoxins, beta glucans, hemolysins, proteinases, mannans and possibly spirocyclic drimanes; as well as volatile organic compounds).

Most commonly, a person is exposed by spending time in a water damaged building where mold and harmful chemicals have manifested. Often the mold goes unseen and unknown for years while causing illness to residents and workers.

Diagnosing mold illness can be complicated because each type of mold can affect several organ systems and cause an array of symptoms that come and go. Biotoxin Illness closely resembles symptoms of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, therefore there is a high potential of being misdiagnosed. Generally, Mold Illness patients “don’t look that bad,” but they have a weakened immune system and get sick routinely, often called “a vicious cycle” by Mold Illness patients. Symptoms of Biotoxin Illness include:

Fatigue

Weakness

Aches

Muscle Cramps

Unusual Pain

Ice Pick Pain

Headache

Light Sensitivity

Red Eyes

Blurred Vision

Tearing

Sinus Problems

Cough

Shortness of Breath

Abdominal Pain

Diarrhea

Joint Pain

Morning Stiffness

Memory Issues

Focus/Concentration Issues
Word Recollection Issues

Decreased Learning of New Knowledge

Confusion

Disorientation

Skin Sensitivity

Mood Swings

Appetite Swings

Sweats (especially night sweats)

Temperature Regulation Problems

Excessive Thirst

Increased Urination

Static Shocks

Numbness

Tingling

Vertigo

Metallic Taste

Tremors
Get Help Today!

More About Biotoxins & Mold Illness

Mold illness is rarely self-healing. Toxic mold spores enter the body and eventually get dumped into the liver. Unfortunately the liver cannot metabolize toxic mold spores. Because of this, patients with mold illness usually also have liver problems.

Be aware that most medical blood tests will read mold illnesses as normal, so it is crucial to receive proper testing. At Triad Health Center, our job is to dig deeper and locate potential exposures. Part of our initial testing includes a very accurate and non-invasive neurological test, called the Visual Contrast Sensitivity Test, which determines deficiency of neurological function due to mold toxicity. In addition, blood tests such as MSH, C3a, C4a, and Leptin may be ordered after patient evaluation.